Friday, August 26, 2016

Pixi Beauty Hydrating Milky Serum

There's something about mint green packaging that makes it seem very friendly, hence my affinity with Pixi Beauty products. The new addition to my skin care routine is the Pixi Hydrating Milky Serum which I got prior to leaving for the US. Although the Pixi Skintreats line was released in May, I'm always a little slow in trying new products. At my age, I don't want to deal with additional breakouts or rashes anymore. So far, it's been deduced that I get redness and irritations when I have too much [direct] sun exposure (surfing or beaching), so yeah, my skin situation is a little difficult.

Anyway, because I was pleased with the Glow Tonic I was a little excited to try the Hydrating Milky Serum. With the word "milky" thrown in, it seemed gentle enough to use. 

This nutrient-rich serum restores dehydrated skin, revealing its natural radiance. Silky-smooth & lightweight, it gives a burst of hydration without a heavy feel. Rose flower extract, jojoba oil, and aloe vera nourish, while glycerin traps moisture to the skin for a plumped effect.

Price: Php 1,280 
Where to buy: www.glamourbox.ph

What it is: 

It is essentially a lightweight non-greasy serum with no exfoliating ingredients. I would have opted to say no to this if it had more glycolic acid, I feel that my Glow Tonic is doing enough sloughing off already. The Hydrating Milky Serum has soothing aloe vera, jojoba oil and rose flower extract, plus it's brimming with glycerin for that plumping action.

I would like to point out that jojoba oil is getting a lot of good reviews because it's an oil that is structurally closest to the sebum produced by the skin and is therefore easily absorbed. It is also known to be an anti-bacterial and protects against free radicals. Whilst pure jojoba oil (golden in color) is preferred, who wants to apply oil on their face in this tropical country? I am combi-oily and while I do love my facial oils once in a while, I find them to be too warm on the skin.
Full ingredients list: Water, Glycerin, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate, Squalane, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Rosa Damascena Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Ethylhexylglycerin, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Isostearate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Caprylyl Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate.
Made for those with oily skin,the Hydrating Milky Serum absorbs quickly when applied. I use it at night by applying 2 drops on my palms, I then press my palms together, and then gently smooth the product over my face. Simple, easy. I then top it with my Sukin Super Greens Facial Recovery Serum (this is a major fave!), another watery nutrient-filled serum.


What to expect:

There is no tingling sensation, no redness or downtime, just softer skin. Be forewarned though, that it did localize brewing pimples as two sprouted the day after. Rosehip oil is also one of the main ingredients so expect a noticeable rose scent which is still evident after application.

And the packaging, oh the packaging. It's getting a lot of bad rap online as the dropper can't really pick up a lot of product, which is gonna be a problem when you're running out of serum and you want to get the last bits of it. Pixi, why not use a pump packaging instead moving forward? 


Women who have oily, sensitive skin and are prone to shine (I just described myself right there) will find this serum has a thick texture but is impressively lightweight and non-greasy. It absorbs right away when applied on skin -- I swear!

Okay, you  might have noticed that I only touched on the texture part of the product. To me, texture is very, very important. A serum may have all the most exotic and expensive ingredients but if the texture does not suit me or my skin-type, then it's not for me. I don't want my face to be a warm, oily mess 10 minutes after application, you get me?

As for the hydrating claim, my skin feels (for lack of a better term) soft and smooth. The serum does settle in nicely without leaving any feelings of tautness. Suffice to say, the glycerin does its job well leaving my complexion slightly moist and supple.

Here's a tip: give your neck and decolletage some loving and apply the serum to these exposed parts, too.  

A word on active ingredients

Read the ingredients list above and you'll notice that a lot of natural and supposedly key ingredients come after phenoxyethanol. According to goddess Caroline Hirons:
Phenoxyethanol, along with parabens, is not allowed to be in formulas at an amount higher than 1%. So you know that anything listed after either of those, is less than 1%.
So all ingredients after phenoxyethanol (including vitamin C and E, rosehip oil, aloe vera, etc.) may be lower than 1% meaning they're not as active or not likely to irritate skin. What this serum is, though, is jojoba-heavy as it is third on the ingredients list. This is me geeking out about skin care, and you should, too. So, yay for jojoba oils because it's one of the gentler and non-comedogenic oils out there.

Pour conclure

I use this once a day (at night) and my skin is hydrated in the morning, but you have the option to use this twice a day if you desire. If you're willing to look past the initial slight purging (at least that's what happened to me), then this is something you might want to try along with the esteemed Glow Tonic.

You can grab this and the Pixi Skintreats line at www.glamourbox.ph.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment