Thursday, June 2, 2016

My Physical Therapy experience at 47 Polarity

"We're here," the driver said. And I peered out the window and stared at the grey non descript gate. "Are you sure?" I asked. "It only says 47 out front."

I rang the doorbell and was greeted by a friendly lady. Yep, I have arrived at 47 Polarity Physiotherapy Center, a new [and exclusive] physical therapy center in Manila. The invite came at an opportune moment: I have just flown in from Japan and have been complaining of a sore knee which I attributed to walking nonstop for 4 hours exploring Gion. That or maybe I have to embrace the fact that I am growing older.


I was given quick tour of the place, and afterwards ushered into a room for an interview with Nigel. Nigel is one of the skilled and PRC-licensed Physical Therapists that make up the team at 47 Polarity, and he explained what physiotherapy is and what it can do for my health and well-being. Admittedly, I am not the fittest person on the planet. Just like everyone else, I was pretty much confined to a cubicle working having a relationship with my laptop for many years. Plus, being a blogger meant writing and being seated in one position for hours.


This is not the ideal situation, I was told. Prolonged sitting leads to lower back pain later in life, and this is where physiotherapy comes in. This means that you don't have to be an athlete to enjoy the benefits of physiotherapy. Everyone regardless of lifestyle will need it at one point in her/his life.

What is physiotherapy?

Physiotherapy is a science-based profession and takes a ‘whole person’ approach to health and well-being. Therapists help people affected by injury, illness or disability through movement and exercise, manual therapy, education, and advice. They maintain health for people of all ages, helping patients to manage pain and prevent disease.

47 Polarity specializes in Myofascial Release (MFR), an alternative medicine therapy that focuses on releasing muscular shortness and tightness.

one of the suites at 47 Polarity
In my case since I've been complaining about my knee I would automatically assume it's my actual knee that needs to be treated. After evaluation and MFR by Hazel, it was later deduced that tightness in my gluteal muscles caused the pain. 


Hazel applied pressure on my tight glutes and if you are a first-timer please be warned that it can be painful depending on your threshold. A few more passes and the knots were tender and there was an overall feeling of lightness. Hazel then moved on to other parts of the body. 

She also discovered that I have a hip misalignment and pelvis dysfunction. A tilted hip affects the body in so many levels: one can start feeling pain in the lower back, shoulders, neck, it can even spread into the legs. With our hips as the core stabilizer of the upper and lower torso, any misalignment could spell movement problems later on.

Lifestyle plays a big part in this misalignment:

  • how you carry your bag (do you carry it on one shoulder only?)
  • the shoes you wear (is your sole cushioned and does it provide support?)
  • where you walk (is it on flat surface, or on a cobbled street?)
  • are you exercising but employing the wrong stance/position?, etc. 


Additionally it was discovered that I have functional scoliosis, a curve in the spine caused by a difference in leg length. She later remedied this through stretching and employing MFR techniques. 

Hazel recommended some home exercises that I can do to help my muscles relax, align my spine, and strengthen my glutes. I am due for another MFR session soon so she can track my progress. 


I have to say, I was greatly relieved to have undergone several sessions at 47 Polarity. Aside from alleviating the pain in my knee, neck, and back, it made me more attuned to my body. It also inspired me to say goodbye to my relatively sedentary lifestyle and go back to Barre3 (I've since enrolled in a 2-month unlimited package). It is very important in this day and age to take our health seriously, especially when much is required from us every single day. 

Special promo for my readers!


My sister and Mom are converts of MFR!
They're with Hazel and Nigel in the photo
I'd love for my readers who reside in the Quezon City area to try 47 Polarity! Just mention my name and you get Php 100 off your first session. They're on soft opening now so take advantage of the low rate of Php 1,200 per MFR session. Tell your athlete friends, too!

Polarity Physiotherapy Center

47 Examiner Street, Barangay West Triangle, Quezon City

More info on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/PolarityPhysiotherapyCenter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment