Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Healing sunburn with nappy cream

I developed mild sunburn on my shoulders after spending pool time with my nephew back in Mindanao last weekend. Automatically I'd apply some aloe vera gel to soothe the burn but then I stumbled upon an article that recommends zinc oxide (or nappy cream) as an alternative

Zinc oxide is a fine white powder that is insoluble in water. If you apply sunscreen that uses zinc oxide as its main ingredient, you'll notice that water just beads over it. This is because it creates a film making water slide off skin. Usually zinc oxide is made from natural sources but I read that it can now be synthetically produced


I have 2 full-sized products of the Mustela Vitamin Barrier Cream and I discovered that it contains a decent 10% zinc oxide. So slather nappy cream I did, on my shoulders and back. It is very thick and emollient so I would recommend using this as an overnight treatment. 


The Mustela Vitamin Barrier Cream contains skin soothers such as avocado oil. sunflower oil, beeswax, and avocado fruit extracts. Additionally, it's believed that 98% of the ingredients on the list is from natural origins so I assume it's safe for sensitive skin. How I see it, the zinc oxide acts as an occlusive agent (keeping the oils close to skin and prevents it from evaporating) which is how it soothes the sunburn. I think it did a decent job soothing my skin though, nothing too drastic. But one thing's for sure, my shoulders are smoother and more moisturized.

I also read that you can use it to spot treat pimples or even apply the cream to the entire face as an emollient moisturizer. I sort of believe in the latter because I used to apply Vandol (does anyone remember this?) to my face every night in high school. The Vitamin A ingredient helped nourish and clear my skin big time.

Do you have other skin care hacks? 
Have you used nappy cream as a skin care product?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment