Monday, May 30, 2016

Presenting: The esteemed Pixi Glow Tonic

If there is only one product you should try from the Pixi by Petra line, it's gotta be the cult-fave Pixi Glow Tonic. I've had the full-sized bottle (given as a press gift) since last year but was holding off on using it because I was scared of getting a reaction.

But with my constant sun exposure, my Dermatologist recommended I exfoliate regularly to help my skin battle those dreaded bumps and sporadic cystic pimples that have been plaguing my forehead for months. Admittedly I was only using a cream cleanser and while it was effective at gently cleansing [sunburnt] skin, my pores needed more help in the exfoliation department. Something non-abrasive was recommended, so enter the Pixi Glow Tonic. 

Glow tonic with ginseng and fructose. For normal to dry, dull and aging skin. Oxygenating, exfoliating facial glow tonic. Helps tone, firm and tighten the skin. Removes dead skin cells for healthier looking skin. Alcohol free. Use after cleanser on cotton pad. Key ingredients: aloe vera and ginseng.
Price: Php 1,690/250ml (try the 15ml sampler size for only Php 390)
Where to buy: www.glamourbox.ph
Spiked with 5% glycolic acid, the Pixi Glow Tonic is meant to dissolve the upper layers of skin to trigger repair. Derived from the AHA family, glycolic acid is comprised of smaller molecules that deeply penetrate skin making it effective in treating fine lines, blackheads, dullness, oiliness, acne, etc.  

The lower concentration of 5% is the perfect dose: it's gentle enough to use on sensitive skin yet powerful enough to exfoliate. You won't experience redness or obvious peeling with this one.

What to expect:

I blocked off 4 weeks before incorporating the Pixi Glow Tonic in my routine. This meant no beach for a month (!). I had a diamond peel and a facial a few days prior to give my skin a clean state. I also wanted to minimize the effects of purging, should it be an effect of the glycolic acid. Take note I haven't undergone any chemical peels previously, so I wasn't sure about its effects on my skin.

I started applying the toner every night on a cotton round, gently patting it over my T-zone. Patting, as opposed to rubbing, greatly reduces unnecessary friction on skin which also causes untoward reactions. I felt a slight tingle on my cheeks (very light stinging) on my first application which means the acid is working.

The results


In the first week more whiteheads sprouted coupled with one to two cystic pimples on the chin and forehead. But I persisted and applied my Red Better Flare Up Balm to calm these nasties. The eruptions healed and went away a week later.

By the second week I noticed an improved texture (my T-zone was smoother), more even and brighter skin tone, and definitely less bumps and blemishes. Red spots left by previous breakouts were still there but are healing and fading slowly, so yay!

A month later, I am still employing the same evening routine as I want to ease into twice a day application. I went to Cebu last weekend which meant I was going to tan, so I stopped application two days prior and resumed two days after I've arrived back in Manila.

My skin still reacts when exposed to too much sun, but once I go back to using the Pixi Glow Tonic my skin returns to normal within a week. So yeah, if I want my perfect skin back I would have to stop beaching -- but that's a tall order! So no. Haha.

Would I recommend the Pixi Glow Tonic?



Most definitely! The key here is consistency, you have to be patient and wait for it to work. Also use it in small doses, don't soak your cotton round with too much product! It may take weeks to see results as exfoliation and skin renewal takes time. But one thing I can guarantee: if you have sensitive reactive skin, this toner is gentle enough to incorporate into your skin care routine.

Also, let's be honest. If you are acne-prone, this product alone won't give you perfect skin. You still have to do the cleanse-tone-moisturize-treat routine, head to your Dermatologist for regular extractions and facials, eat healthy, sleep early, etc. But at least the Pixi Glow Tonic can help alleviate blemishes and regulate oiliness.

If you have oily blemished skin, this toner: 

  • gently exfoliates revealing brighter (not whiter!) skin
  • heals and lessens pimples and breakouts
  • greatly improves skin texture -- my cheeks are smoother now and my Skintangible (my BB cream-slash-makeup) glides effortlessly on skin

If you have clear skin already (lucky you), this toner: 

  • gently exfoliates and can help give you that enviable "glow"
  • will help your moisturizer or serum perform better
  • can help keep aging at bay

Have you tried the Pixi Glow Tonic? Please share your experiences with me!

More Pixi Skintreats here: http://www.glamourbox.ph/494-skintreats

0 Comments:

Post a Comment