Sunday, September 20, 2015

Amazingly lightweight: Burt's Bees Radiance Night Cream with Royal Jelly

Having had combination-sensitive (reactive) skin all my life, I've shunned cream-based products especially during night-time. I've preferred water-based and gel-based moisturizers (with the exclusion of facial oils once in a while) in order to prevent the aggravation of my overactive oil glands. 

But when I visited a new dermatologist last week, she mentioned that my skin looks dry because of overexposure to the sun. She recommended drinking more water (of which I am guilty of not doing) plus the inclusion of a night cream in my daily skin care regimen. I am 30+ after all. Normally I would dismiss things like this because I am familiar with what's best for my skin and I don't want to change my routine, but I love this new dermatologist because she supports by beach trips and surfing escapades -- she was the one responsible for lasering off the mole on my stomach that was once burnt after my La Union trip

So when I got home, I rummaged through my press gifts and decided to try the Burt's Bees Radiance Night Cream with Royal Jelly. I didn't have high hopes at first. After all, night creams are known to be beneficial to skin but are deemed too rich, too warm, too tacky for oily skin. But I've been proven wrong by Burt's Bees.

Discover our best natural nighttime moisturizer for dull skin needing a youthful glow. Infused with Royal Jelly, one of nature’s most powerful nutrients, this night cream helps enhance the skin’s natural radiance and helps minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Formulated with Bee Pollen and Shea Butter, your skin will look and feel more moisturized and smoother for naturally radiant, younger-looking skin.
Price: Php1,450/55g 
Where to buy: Beauty Bar or Burt's Bees website
The formula is front-heavy with a lot of natural ingredients, but its claim to fame is royal jelly (a nutrient-charged ingredient with 17 Amino Acids, Vitamins B1, B2, B5, B6, C and E, along with Biotin, Niacin and Folic Acids), bee pollen and shea butter (to smoothen skin and minimize fine lines).

When I say front-heavy, it means that all the natural ingredients are placed before phenoyxethanol, a chemical ingredient that is not allowed to be in formulas in amounts higher than 1%. So basically anything before phenoxyethanol could either be an active ingredient, or in amounts that is still relevant to what the product is claiming.


I will cut to the chase: the formula is so lightweight and is reminiscent of those gel-cream formulations that immediately sink into skin upon application. I was greatly surprised as I was expecting to feel coated and warm. It does leave a sheen on face though and doesn't dry flat matte, but for a night cream it does what it is expected: I wake up in the morning with supple and moisturized skin but not overly oily.


The glass jar is also something I appreciate though I imagine germophobes might feel averse towards dipping their fingers constantly in the pot. Personally, glass containers make the product look and feel more luxe plus glass is more non-toxic and there is less risk of the container (as in the case of plastics) contaminating the product.

Additionally, glass jars can be reused thus saving the environment of excessive and unnecessary plastic in landfills. But, there is a current debate on the use of plastics vs glass containers (the latter is said to leave a stronger carbon footprint, but glass is more recyclable). Read more on that here.


In any case, I am totally a fan of the Burt's Bees Radiance Night Cream and I wish they made smaller jars for travel (or a travel set would be nice). And oh it must be mentioned I was also blown away by the fruits [natural] scent of the cream, making it a joy to apply every night. 

What about you, what night cream do you use? 
Share your regimen with me in the comments!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment