Monday, July 27, 2015

Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies Waterproof Mascara in Black

During one of our beauty sessions, I ranted to Ae of An Artechoke that most mascaras really smudge on me and it's getting quite frustrating. Ae mentioned that it probably wasn't the fault of the mascaras I've tried; rather, have I ever considered that my eyes were the problem? Hmmm..that was a good argument, and I urged her to explain. She studied my eyes meticulously and scientifically for a minute, and deduced that the shape of my chinita eyes plus my numerous facial reactions cause my upper lids to touch the skin under my eyes constantly. Thus even if I apply waterproof mascara, the constant contact displaces the mascara and makes it smudge eventually. 

Now while this wasn't the first time someone looked into/at my eyes intently (hrhr), I am inclined to believe her because she is more the makeup aficionado than me plus she has one of the best eyebrows in the business. And ladies, here's some beauty wisdom: never trust anyone who has bad eyebrows. 

So that being said, I started to look at mascaras differently and (I dare say) have become somewhat a little forgiving of their shortcomings. Seeing as I am about to throw out my favorite HD Mascara as it's gone beyond the 6-month shelf life, I broke open the Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies one which I got as a press gift 2 months back just to see how a drugstore brand would fare. 


Lash glam, instantly!

  • Patented Spoon Brush fans out lashes from corner-to-corner, while our Pro-Keratin formula instantly builds volume without clumping 
  • Unique flexible wand helps to lift and separate lashes to provide the look of 300% more visible, fuller lashes, no gaps from any angle 
  • Contact lens safe and ophthalmologist-tested 
  • Waterproof, also available in Washable formula 

Price: Php 459
Where to buy: malls and drugstores


This is the first time I'll be using a spoon (curved) brush and I will admit I was quite hesitant at first. At the expense of being called a beauty snob, I do love my drugstore brands (skin care-wise) but makeup is a different ballgame altogether. I had a feeling this mascara would fall short, and would smudge on me, etc. I was judging it even before I had actually tested it! Tsk, tsk.
 

Anyway, it comes in a bright purple tube with a curved (and rather flimsy) brush. The formula is on the wet side though some beauty blogs say that it becomes better with age as the formula thickens up and becomes easier to apply. It's recommended to swipe the curved side against lashes to help enhance curl and "pull" them up. 

Drying time is quick and the curl relatively stays put for 3-4 hours though depending on my flurry of activities for the day, they may droop by afternoon and the smudge marks start to appear at the outer corners of my eyes. On a positive note, my lashes feel soft (not crunchy) and there's no flaking either. 


This is how my lashes look after curling with my favorite Koji Curving Eyelash Curler (click for review) and 2 coats of the Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies Waterproof Mascara. For a drugstore brand selling for less than Php 500, I think it does a pretty good job as an every day mascara: it thickens and stays put, yet is easy to remove with a cotton pad and simple waterproof eye makeup remover. Does it give a falsies effect? It does lengthen, volumize, and define hairs though if you have Asian lashes like mine and desire a va-va-voom effect, then this might fall short on you. Still, I was impressed with the staying power and decent waterproof/smudge-proof claim.


Shall I repurchase? I probably will, but only after I've used up all the other mascaras in my stash. I'm also eyeing other Maybelline mascara products in the hopes that I can still find something that's a little bit more hardcore. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment