Friday, July 31, 2015

Lip Balm with a Peppermint Kick: Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm

Lip Balm (along with hand cream) is probably one of the most basic (and unsung) skin care essentials. I mean, I can't imagine going through a whole day without these in my bag. That said, I always have a tube of lip balm in the house especially the places I frequently visit: near my bedside, in the bathroom, in my Mom's room, etc. If I don't have any handy, I get all uneasy and keep licking/pursing my lips together which results to -- you guessed it -- dry and cracked lips. Yuck!

So understandably, I have my preferences when it comes to the "perfect" lip balm: non-sticky, gentle/hypoallergenic, peppermint-flavored, with SPF (I can let this slide depending on how much I love the formula), moisturizing, and must not take forever to settle.

I've been pretty happy with my Hurraw Lip Balm from Cutieverse and been loyal to it for over 2 years, but now that I'm running out I'm willing to try others that I have in my stash. I've accumulated quite a handful from brands and the one that piqued my interest this time is the Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm

The original. The best. And still your favorite. Our must-have balms have been playing in purses and pockets since 1991. Beeswax conditions skin, while antioxidant Vitamin E moisturizes. A final hint of Peppermint Oil provides that one-of-a-kind refreshing tingle. The result? Smooth, supple lips everyone will be buzzing about. 
Price: Php 325/4.25g 
Where to buy: Beauty Bar
The bright sunshine-y yellow tube really caught my eye and I removed the safety seal even before I had a chance to Google reviews! Oh Burt's Bees, look at what you're making me do, I break all the rules for you?! Haha.


Texture: 

Having used non-wax and non-petrolatum lip balms for years, I was a little apprehensive about the beeswax ingredient because I really despise the heavy and coated feeling that typical lip balms leave behind. Upon application I immediately noticed that Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm is very hard and solid (unlike Hurraw's which melt on your lips upon application) mainly due to the beeswax ingredient. It has a dry and non-greasy texture which sits comfortably on lips and preps it well for lipstick application. You will feel rather coated if you apply too much, so two swipes should be ideal.


Degree of mintiness: 

Aha, this is where it gets really interesting. While I would normally dismiss that a natural product would offer the cooling mentholated feel that I've been enjoying with other petrolatum-based lip balms (hint: Carmex), I was greatly surprised that this Burt's Bees Lip Balm was topnotch in this category. You'd get this really potent peppermint scent once you've removed the cap, and then a strong mentholated kick once applied to the lips. I was greatly pleased! But take note, peppermint oil is an allergen in itself so take heed if you are sensitive to this ingredient.


Moisturization: 

Beeswax works like petrolatum by sealing the lips protecting it from air and other elements that can dry them out. I think the occlusive property of beeswax was able to moisturize my lips well, no complaints there. The finish is a little dry with drag when applied to lips, but for others who suffer from very dry, chapped lips, you might need something that's a little bit more emollient.

Allergic to Beeswax?

While some people shun beeswax due to ethical reasons or allergies, beeswax can be moisturizing to a certain degree plus there are no added health hazards if you are chronic lip licker. Another helpful article I pulled up is that beeswax in itself doesn't cause any allergic reactions, rather the propolis ingredient is to be blamed. You can read more about that here and here

Overall, this seems like a good buy at Php 325 especially if you're in search of a natural lip balm with a strong kick of peppermint (obviously I'm giving this a high rating because of the cool mentholated feeling). The product itself is very hard and sturdy and I think will last many months of partying in your purse, though I understand drugstore shoppers will still find this a teeny bit expensive. 

Have you used the Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm? 
Is it a yay or nay for you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment