Monday, April 13, 2015

Juice Beauty SPF 30 Sport Moisturizer

Common sense will tell you to apply sunscreen day in and day out, most especially in this heat as it is officially summer in the Philippines. I know a whole lot of people who pass on sunscreen because it's simply too sticky or too cumbersome. But let me tell you something, if you regularly apply sunscreen early on in life, there'll be less wrinkles, fine lines, and skin pigmentations to contend with in the future. Your skin will thank you for it, so make sure to scout for your HG sunscreen now!

Anyway, as a sunscreen fiend myself, I've collected quite a lot of brands and I hope to be able to feature/review them here one by one, and to help you on your search for "the one."

Alright, let's start with Juice Beauty SPF 30 Sport Moisturizer which was introduced to me at last year's meet with greet with Juice Beauty International Sales Manager, Vernetra Young. It took a while for me to review it as I'm swimming in products, but finally here's my verdict.

Water-resistant, chemical-free and broad spectrum protection for the ultimate sun and sport fun. Made especially for an active outdoor lifestyle, SPF 30 Sport Sunscreen blends rich organic jojoba and soothing aloe with antioxidants and vitamins for the ultimate daily protection.
Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 20%
Inactive Ingredients: Organic juices of aloe barbadensis (organic aloe juice)*, pyrus malus (organic apple juice)*, vitis vinifera (organic white grape juice)*, cocos nucifera (organic coconut oil)*, caprylic/capric triglycerides, sorbitan stearate, ricinus communis (castor seed oil), hydrogenated methyl abietate, polyglyceryl-10 laurate, magnesium sulfate, helianthus annuus (organic sunflower seed oil)*, simmondsia chinensis (organic jojoba seed oil)*, tocopherol (Vitamin E), magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (Vitamin C), citrus limonum (lemon extract), iron oxides, phenethyl alcohol, ethylhexylglycerin, citrus reticulata (mandarin) & citrus aurantium (petitgrain) pure essential oils  
Availability: Beauty Bar

Not only does Juice Beauty use certified organic ingredients (no chemical fillers either), but they also choose to skip purified water and include 100% undiluted antioxidant rich juice base in all of their products. Their standpoint is, why use water as your base (which is what typical beauty companies do) and dilute the product's efficacy on the skin?

I brought the Juice Beauty Sport Moisturizer to one of my beach trips and this is what I have to say about it: 

What I like: 

  • filled with antioxidant-rich ingredients that nourish skin
  • certified organic, no harmful chemicals
  • protects with broad spectrum SPF 30, non-nano natural sunscreen
  • water-resistant for up to 80 minutes, good for swimming or [water] sports
  • initial semi-opaque finish so you can see where you've previously applied the product
  • has a herbal, somewhat grassy scent
  • can moisturize skin to a certain extent, use this over your regular body lotion if your skin is really dry
  • tube is sturdy and easy to grip even with wet hands (I love the bright green color, too)

What I don't like: 

  • consistency is thick, has a little drag when applied to skin
  • product is tinted, needs to be blended well otherwise it will leave white streaks especially when skin is wet and you reapply
  • leaves a little sheen after application, you need to wait it out before you get dressed 
  • the scent may put off some people

As with all all natural sunscreens that I've encountered, the Juice Beauty SPF 30 Sport Moisturizer is a physical sunscreen that lists Zinc Oxide as its only active sunscreen ingredient. This means the zinc oxide stays on the skin and acts as a physical barrier against the rays of the sun. Because of this, the product leaves white streaks (if not blended well) and may be a deterrent for those who have darker skin color. 

PS: Look at my [fading] tan, I'm so kilig! :D
The good thing about zinc oxide though, is that it doesn't get absorbed by our skin which makes it relatively "safer" than synthetic sunscreens such as oxybenzone, oxtinoxate, and octisalate which are absorbed into the bloodstream. Zinc oxide is also considered to be more stable under the sun than titanium dioxide, and is EWG's top choice for sun protection. 

Just to be clear, I use a whole range of sunscreen products both chemical and mineral, so I'm not being partial to Juice Beauty just because it's certified organic. I always believe that sunscreen is a personal choice, and our choices would differ based on our skin condition/sensitivities and budget. 

So, what do you think about the Juice Beauty SPF 30 Sport Moisturizer? Are you ready to ditch your chemical sunscreen for this? As for me, I'd love to take this with me on my next beach trip on Labor Day weekend :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment