Sunday, January 18, 2015

So I started Oil Pulling...


A few weeks ago I posted on Facebook that I was curious about Oil Pulling and requested for recommendations and comments. Lo and behold, about 20+ people messaged me and left their helpful and encouraging words. Oil Pulling is apparently a very common practice in Manila, it's just that not a lot of people talk about it.

I first read about it extensively from Mind Body Green and then discovered some local brands from Cat Juan's blog. In the end, I ordered Gargoyle Oil Pulling Tonic (Php 280/200ml) from Cutieverse because it seemed like the more popular one (or at least the brand that's being used in my network). I was told it has a minty taste (naturally flavored, of course) which is great because I can't take pure VCO as is.

What is Oil Pulling?

Oil Pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practic of swishing oil (sesame, olive, coconut, etc.) in your mouth for 10-20 mins (max) in order to improve oral health and draw out toxins. You can read more about oil pulling here.

Admittedly I am new at this and have only been doing this for 3 days so I can't talk about the benefits yet. But so far I am pretty excited to swish twice a day. Swishing activates the enzymes and the enzymes draw toxins out of the blood. As you swish, the oil mixes with saliva and turns milky white (think: natural saponification). This white liquid is a sign that it has "pulled out" the toxins from your mouth. Coconut oil contains lauric acid which has proven anti-microbial effects, so this oil is most recommended for cleaning the mouth and killing germs.

Rule of thumb: It is recommended to oil pull twice a day: once in the morning on an empty stomach (before drinking any sort of liquids), and again before bedtime. Make sure to brush teeth and rinse thoroughly after oil pulling. 

My experience 

I was initially scared about the gag reflex because, hello it's oil, but my first try went pretty well. I took two squirts and did not experience any gagging at all. The key is to keep yourself occupied because swishing for 20 minutes is a rather long time,  so I suggest watch TV, read a book, or shower while doing it.

One question though, where do you spit out your oil? I read some US blogs that say they spit it out in the trash (the oil will eventually clog your drain), some in the toilet (but then it could mess up the pipes), while some spit it out in tissue and then throw it in the trash (because the toxins pulled could be unsafe for handling if spit directly in the trash). What's your take on it?

I'll update this blog and also review Gargoyle in a month or so, once I have the hang of this oil pulling thing.

Do you practice oil pulling as well? 
Share your experiences (good or bad) in the comments!

11 Comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! I admit this is the first I heard/ read about this practice. Will wait for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Krissy! Having great success so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is my first time to read about oil pulling. Never read about this before, new learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Claire! Still learning the ropes as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're successful at this, I just might try it. Haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok so I should oilpull in the evening as well. Haha! I've been oilpulling for almost 2 weeks now and I don't really see any difference. XD Maybe I'll know when I visit the dentist. Then again, my aunt-dentist says that I seem to be having healthier teeth ever since I started eating healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you can just spit it out in the garbage. There's toxins but it's not *toxic*. It's going to be very wasteful to use up tissue 2x a day just for oil pulling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok so far, I'm excited to oil pull every morning and night hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah me din, wala pa naman significant changes. Though I agree, a healthy lifestyle per se will have a greater impact on teeth :) I read somewhere that cavities don't come from ingesting sugars, rather we get cavities because our teeth are weak due to lack of vitamins and minerals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah my sentiments exactly. For now I spit it in the toilet, I don't want to handle oil in the garbage since I do my own cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aside from spitting, it's also important to expel any phlegm and mucus build up in your throat to effectively rid your body of toxins. Oil pulling naturally draws out the gunk in our system.

    ReplyDelete