Tuesday, September 9, 2014

My Sunday Ritual: Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask

Clay masks are one of my favorite beauty products and I've been using them since college. Being a drugstore shopper first and foremost, I've been a loyal user of the St. Ives Mineral Clay Firming Mask, and only recently I tried to switch it up by using the Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask


Ask anyone about their fave Innisfree products and they'll either name the Green Tea Seed Serum or Jeju Volcanic Pore Clay Mask. These are cult-favorites the world over and it's no wonder that people were literally scooping them up at my last Innisfree visit in Singapore


In general, clay masks are used to purify and detoxify pores, get rid of sebum, exfoliate, tighten, and clarify skin. These clay masks from Innisfree are popular because it contains volcanic ash clusters which are the purest form of clay. Jeju volcanic pore clay is a rare material that's only available in Jeju Island, it was created by the lava that was hardened when the volcano erupted 5,000 years agoVolcanic ash contains active minerals such as sulphur that helps the body resist bacteria, remove sebum inside pores and impurities that can cause skin trouble.


Apart from the actual volcanic ash, this product also contains Kaolin Clay, Walnut Shell Powder, Camellia Sinesis Leaf Extract, and Camellia Japonica Leaf Extract.


Notice the Fresh 3M stamp? That means any product with this stamp is sold within 3 months of being manufactured. Innisfree is a green company and they use recycled packaging and soy ink at all times.


I got the Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask for 22 SGD/100ml and it came with a free metallic spatula as a promo. The older version of the mask called the Jeju Volcanic Pore Clay Mask (another bestseller in its own right) was sold for 21 SGD but I decided to get this newer version as it's supposedly better and has more volcanic ash capsules. 

The texture is impressively very, very creamy and smooth, unlike Ahava's that has bits and pieces of mud/larger granules mixed in, and unlike St. Ives' version which is too thick that sometimes I have difficulty squeezing it out of the tube. Innisfree's has a slight clay scent but dissipates upon application. It's recommended that you apply a thin later of the mask on cleansed skin, then let it dry for 10-15 minutes. I actually like that it takes longer for the mask to dry because otherwise, what good would it do if left on the skin for only 2-3 minutes? 

Anyway, another thing that's unique about Innisfree's Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask is that you can remove it 2 ways: 

  • you can wash it off with lukewarm water, OR
  • you can roll your fingertips over skin to gently peel the mask off

I like the second method as it gives extra exfoliating action, then I just wash off the excess with lukewarm water. It's actually pretty fun and though it may leave skin a little pink due to the rubbing, using the mask once a week for the past 3 weeks has not given me any allergies or breakouts. In fact, it has even dried up my pimples and even removed some comedones.


Overall, I am very, very happy with the Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask and I will definitely buy more when I go back to Singapore. Plus I'd like to check out the other products in the line (cleanser and toner). Can't wait for next Sunday so I can do my skin detox again!

Tell me about your Sunday ritual. 
Do you love clay masks as much as I do? Are you an Innisfree fan, too? :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment