Friday, August 15, 2014

Two looks using the new L'Oreal Collection Star Lipsticks

Hi, I’m Ae and I blog over at An Artechoke. When Kira sent me an SMS one late evening about guest-blogging on Elegantly Wasted -- for an FOTD at that, I was beyond thrilled. I’ve been a long-time reader of her blog (since I met her at a bloggers event two, three years ago?) and she’s one of the real/live/in-the-flesh friends I’ve made from blogging. So yeah, I really enjoy her company, online and off!

You must have read her L’Oreal Collection Star entry a couple of days back. She asked me to do FOTDs using two from the collection of celebirity-inspired lipsticks, the Barely Greige (Jennifer Lopez) and Barely Plum (Sonam Kapoor) lipsticks. I like these types of posts and challenges because it gives beauty blogging some new direction, and maybe, probably, because I’m task-driven. And those of the beauty-related ones are among my favorite things to tick off! For this post, I came up with a look particular for each lipstick, hopefully I gave them justice! So let’s get started!

SMOKY EYE LOOK USING L’OREAL COLLECTION STAR IN BARELY PLUM

I have to admit, I was a bit thrown when I swatched Barely Plum. What looks like an agreeable pink on the tube applies with very strong purple/blue undertones -- something my warm skin tone shies away from.


I’m hoping a semi-strong smoky eye can override (scare?) the transgressing undertone away so I just piled on the shadow and hoped for the best!


Base: Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation in OC-2, Collection Lasting Finish Concealer in Medium 3

Eyes: Smashbox Photo Op Palette, Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pencil in Black, Maybelline Great Lash Mascara in Very Black, Shu Uemura Hard 9 brow pencil in Acorn, MAC Pro Longwear Brow Fix in Red Chestnut

A note on the eyes: I used the lightest matte shade Alabaster on my entire lids as a base, followed by the warm sparkly brown allover the crease extending outwards and upwards. To infuse a bit of purple (to relate with the lipstick) on my eyes, applied the dark plummy Black Currant on my other side of my upper and lower lash line. I applied a creamy eye liner all over, and smudged it with the Black Currant. Lastly, a dab of the mint Seafoam eyeshadow on the inner corner of the eyes for some sparkle.

Face: MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Powder in Medium, Sleek Face Contour Kit in Light, Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Flushed

Lips: L’Oreal in Barely Plum


Barely Plum is as creamy as it is pigmented, so I had to use about three thin coats to ensure even and true-to-tube color. I had to touch up around the edges of my lips, for example as the product sheers out too much to reach these areas by simply rolling your lips together. The color is a bit too strong at first swipe, so I suggest applying it in layers to build up the payoff you’re comfortable with.

MOD 60s LOOK USINGL’OREAL COLLECTION STAR IN BARELY GREIGE

I love Greige! I love gray and I love beige equally something called Barely Greige should totally be up my alley, but in lipsticks, am no so sure. This lipstick is a neutral beige/biscuit color but swatches a lot less pigmented and thick than Barely Plum, so my initial concern is how to make it appear on me. And if it does, what else should I wear it with? I had an idea to wear it with a version of my favorite/default makeup look, the cat-eyeliner. But for fun, I wanted to do a fancier, a bit of a 60s mod flair to it. 


Base: ZA Total Hydration BB Cream, ZA Perfect Fit Concealer

Eyes: Sleek i-Divine Au Naturel Palette, Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pencil in Black, Maybelline The Falsies Big Eyes Mascara, MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack, Pixi Eye Bright Liner, ShuUemura Hard 9 brow pencil in Acorn, MAC Pro Longwear Brow Fix in Red Chestnut


I used the lightest matte shade for my entire lids and contoured my socket with the matte brown shade. For the eyeliner, I used a sharp black pencil to draw out the basic cat eye shape --   my MO is to just trace my upper lashline until about two-thirds of the way. I place a dot where I want my liner to end, and connect this dot to where my line ended and fill in the rest of the gap. I apply the gel eyeliner over this line, making adjustments, smoothing the line as I go. Important! Curl your lashes first before doing any lining of sorts, and fill in that waterline below your upper lashes with either the black gel or pencil. After applying generous coats of mascara to your upper and lower lashes, apply a flesh-toned pencil on your lower waterline for a more 60s vibe!


Face: MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Powder in Medium, Snoe Beauty Slim Shade Me in Walnut, Makeup Forever HD Cream Blush in Shade 225

Lips: MAC Subculture Lip Liner, L’Oreal Collection Star in Barely Greige

For the lips, I lined and filled with a MAC Lip Liner in Subculture before applying couple of coats of Barely Greige. This lipstick is almost like a gloss/balm so you can rock it back and forth your lips without it patching up. It is a sheer nude with micro shimmers, something I’m not a fan of per se, but here I don’t mind so much since it’s hardly noticeable in the slick finish. I’m afraid that if you’ve got naturally pigmented lips, Barely Greige might get lost on you, so I suggest a layer of nude lip liner to “color correct”, that is if you’re after the nude effect. It’s comfortable on its own though, so you might still like to use for a bit of moisture and shine!


---
Thanks, Ae, for these fabulous looks using the new nude lippies from L'Oreal Colour Riche. Tell us, which one's your fave look? :)

7 Comments:

  1. Ang galing! And I love how even her hair matches. Maybe it's just me but I like the mod look so much more! Ang ganda lang rin kasi ng kulay against her skin :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang ganda ng kulay ng lipstick na yan.. sana available din yan dito samen..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ang ganda lang kasi ni Ae, hehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are you located? It's available in the Phils already and in other countries I presume :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Mod look and the hair!

    ReplyDelete