Saturday, October 19, 2013

Musings: Of dinners with friends and turning 32

I turned 32 last week. And every birthday I always have this joke about being an old, frumpy dinosaur:


I love this photo from Hongkong Disneyland last year, because really now, who doesn't love Rex from Toy Story? Plus I can re-use this several times until I actually become a dinosaur *wink*

In lieu of a big dinner or birthday celebration this year, I decided to have pocket dinners with friends several weeks before my actual birthday. I was on a budget, saving up for Korea and all, so having dinners with a max of 5 friends at a time actually made a lot of sense. Plus, I thought it was a great way to nourish and cultivate friendships, plus catch up with people whom I haven't seen in months.

I started 2 weeks before my birthday, some were lucky enough (*ehem*) to have one-on-one dinners with me (parang interview lang, haha). I'm still not done though, if only work wasn't eating up my time, I'd have dinners with friends everyday :D

So it started with Tony and Paola. As you all know, Tony has been my closest guy friend since time immemorial. He's my shrink, my financial adviser, almost a best friend actually. He's awesome and he's seen me through two boyfriends and even crying fits, we've been friends for a decade! It's embarrassing how he knows me so well! 


Dinner was at Yabu, of course! Thank you so much for travelling all the way to Quezon City from Taguig, love you guys :)

Next was the bubbly Glory who was one of our clients back in my Outsmark days. I love her to bits, she's so engaging and I learn so much from her. Here are two 30-year old ladies being giddy about good food at Poco Deli. Oh how I've missed Ayala Triangle and the restaurants! I've been holed up in Salcedo recently and I've been dying to have real food. 

Glory also wrote me a handwritten letter and sent it to my office! Oh my gosh! 
I walked to Poco Deli after the UNICEF Auction for Action sneak peek -- I had no idea it was so far from Ayala Triangle! Clearly, I had forgotten my way around Makati -_-

Then on my birthday, the Glamourbox team surprised me with a birthday cake and an illustration -- hey, I'm so pretty as an illustration pala!


Thanks, Sarah, for this lovely surprise! Can I make money out of it kaya? Will you buy this as a greeting card, stock photo, etc.? Haha!

Of course, a birthday wouldn't be complete without mah girls from ARC and the blogging world. We had a quick dinner at Mom & Tina's after work and I sorely missed this crazy bunch. I was looking forward to my gifts as well.

Anne clearly missed Krissy's whines, too!
our little celebrity friend, Alex
ZOMG! Alex gave me a zombies 2014 calendar! 
...and Krissy was cheap so she gave me a cactus from the ARC stockroom 

Special thanks to Mara for dropping by! She gave me lots of Avon makeup and Anne gave me a skull necklace. Woot! Woot!

Dinner with my twin was up next. Met Kari in 2011 during the Clinique Sparty and we've been keeping in touch since. She looks like me and her name even sounds like mine -- could we be sisters from another mother? Plus, she's 23 and I'm 32 :D

Yabu, thank you for my FREE birthday dinner!
Kari is such a little bundle of cuteness, and is the opposite of me (at least I think so). She's got a good head on her shoulders, very serious about work and relationships (I am so cavalier, unfortunately) and has her life all planned out. I don't even know what I want to do next year, aside from, uh, travel :D

So that's it for now! I shall update this post soon enough, as I got busy with my cousin's wedding which will be another blog entry. I am not a huge wedding person but I loved hers so much, I was so inspired. Where is my Prince Charming?! Kidding, I found him already and his name is Pnut :D

So now that I'm 32, did I actually learn anything last year? Well, the whole shiz of loving yourself first still rings true, but more than that I've learned to edit -- edit friends and relationships, choose my battles, eat healthy and just be happy in general. Being single (i.e. being independent) has been the greatest challenge so far, I'm just really glad to have such supportive friends. I may not have a huge network, but I do have the best selection of friends out there, I'm still so blessed after all :)

10 Comments:

  1. Belated Happy Birthday, Kirabells! (Lol, sorry.. I have this habit of attaching random words to names of friends. And trust me, "Kirabells" sounds a lot better than most names I've given to my other friends.)

    To me, you'll always be a walking bag of candy treats filled with lots of happy vibes, smiles, laughter and love. And someone like you who sends strong signals of positive energy to the world (this sounds so hippie haha) deserves to attract the right and lasting type of love. So brace yourself for the best that's yet to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivi! You will always be the highlight of my 2013, so happy to have finally met you :) Aaand, thank you for the kind words. I'm not perky and positive and happy all the time, but thinking of you guys sure puts a smile on my face :D Cheesemax!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I wish I would look as pretty as you when I turn 32! :) Huuuuug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 24 na ko! And o you look 24 lang daw! Twins kung twins! Hahaha :)


    Haggardo versoza lang ang peg ko. Plus I'm missing half my brows in the picture :)) may need to revamp that brow routine. Thanks for the Yabu treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jessa! Kaloka, how I wish I had your eyebrows LOL. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wheee! Thank you, Stephanie :) The perks of...being petite? Haha, mukang bata :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jaja! Pnut says woof! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Di ba pwedeng forever 23 ka? And ako forever 32? LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I'm in this blog post! Yihee :P That was a cool way to jumpstart my own bday month, too. Till the next one, Kira. I hope you're feeling better now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uyy...special appearance! Haha. Let's dinner again before Christmas? :)

    ReplyDelete