Monday, September 23, 2013

Skin Care for Cooler Weather

This post is somehow inspired by the article we posted over at the Glamourblog. But instead of Van's picks, here are my own, haha.

Although I do delight in the fact that the cooler weather means I become less oily (than the usual), it also means I can "experiment" with richer moisturizers and products. I use the word "experiment" loosely of course, because I am still prone to flare ups with my skin sensitives.

Anyway, if you find that your previously combination skin is acting up due to the change in temperature, then you may have to transition into more weather-appropriate products. Here are some of my picks:

Skin cleanser


I've always though that foaming cleansers were top notch in terms of cleansing. It was only very recently that I discovered the power of cream cleansers. I've had this VMV Red Better Deeply Soothing Cleansing Cream since last year (a gift from VMV) and stashed it in my "to-review" pile hoping to be able to use it someday.

When another flare up/breakout ensued a few weeks ago due to product testing, I decided to dig through my pile in search of a gentle cleanser. I didn't want to risk any more reactions. So I found this and used it for a couple of days. The results weren't instantaneous, but the flare ups did calm down after a couple of days. VMV Red Better Deeply Soothing Cleansing Cream is a thick cleansing cream that leaves my skin soft and smooth, never taut. I would recommend it for sensitive complexions and ladies battling psoriasis (hello, Kari!).

The Paul Penders Rosemary & Calendula Cleansing Milk is an organic brand from the US. I won it via an online raffle :) Paul Penders products are cold-processed which means the full potency of the natural ingredients are preserved. The product is milky and a lot more fluid compared to VMV's. Both of these products are great as facial cleansers on their own, they can help remove a little bit of makeup but I prefer using them as step 2 of my double cleansing routine.

Moisturizer


I wouldn't have discovered Physiogel if not for the Bridal Bliss Glamourbox. Now, the Intensive Cream has become an indispensable part of my routine. It's great for elbows, feet and knees, especially if you leave it on overnight. Thanks to First Tier Branding Solutions for sending me the whole line! I use the lotion for my body and the cream on dry spots. The moisturizing properties of Physiogel is impressive! Physiogel boasts of their DMS (Derma Membrane Structure) technology that helps repair skin and retain its moisture even after 3 days.

For the face, I still stick to my Celeteque Hydration Facial Moisturizer come rain or shine. Sadly, it has dimethicones but it's okay for me until I find a better alternative. I top this with Armada 60 or my Skin Savvy 60.

Lips


I have grown to love my Hurraw! Lip Balm in Peppermint, as in, I would hoard soon. Love the tingly and non-greasy feel plus the fact that it's organic. The cute shape also makes it worthy of whipping out in public places for touch-ups :)

Pimples, rashes, blemishes


I've been using this since early this year but totally forgot to blog about it, I'm on my second tube already! If you have sensitive skin and need a pimple-busting product, then try the VMV Red Better Spot Corrector. It comes in a salve base and contains salicylic acid and green tea. It soothes pimples in a few days yet doesn't irritate the skin around it. Best used at night because it can be quite oily. For chaffing and rashes, try the VMV Red Better Flare Up Balm. (Tip: Leave both in the fridge because the product tends to seep out when the temperature rises). 

What are the products you use during the -ber months?
Share them with me in the comments :)


14 Comments:

  1. Haha I knew you knew I'd read this entry of yours! I feel the same way as you do, but about the moisturizer--it takes time to work, and you won't notice it right away. Best paired with the other products in the line, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! We really are twins, after all :D


    I love the cream cleanser, plan to buy more since VMV will be on 25% off this weekend. Re moisturizer, I prefer the gel type so creamy ones are really out of the question. Oh btw, I had my first VMV facial last weekend. Maybe it's something we can do together? I assume VMV knows their shiz when it comes to psoriasis, dermatitis and other skin conditions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just recently bought vmv's re-everything cream cleanser. I love it. I wish it didn't have the scrubby bits but for something with glycolic acid, it isn't drying. <3


    I might try the basic cream cleansers next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just bought facial wash from Clinique, so will work through that before I buy again haha :) I've also been looking at VMV facials, but haven't asked what they recommend for psoriasis, just for dry skin. Scared to undergo anything that has pricking or scrubbing because it can potentially turn into a psoriasis plaque. Would love to pamper myself with a facial though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. jakieandthebeadstalkSeptember 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM

    Where fo you buy the Hurrah lipbalm? I've been looking for a peppermint lipbalm for ages!
    I love physiogel too. And I agree, the cold weather is best for people with oily skin like me to try on facial products so we wouldn't look like we're melting. (I'm reminded of the wicked witch in Dorothy, "I'm meltingggg!!!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I contacted VMV this morning and they advised visiting VSRC for a skin consultation as they have a psoriasis management program. It's in C. Palanca, Makati and I can come with you if you'd like :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting! I'm a fan of the Re-Everything Eye Serum but haven't tried the other products from the same line. I will check out that cleanser this weekend, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, you're always so funny xD I ordered Hurraw from www.cutieverse.com (ikaw ha, not clicking on the link, it's there naman e!) :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. jakieandthebeadstalkSeptember 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM

    Tamad mag-click. Hahahaha!!! Suri, suri!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is the 25% off sale this Saturday? Available for all branches? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only spoke to the staff in VMV Trinoma, so they'll definitely be on sale this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to try Physiogel :) been hearing good reviews about it and my skin is extra sensitive lately

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your avatar <3 Try Physiogel and let me know if it works for you :) It's gentle formulation is suitable for sensitive skin :)

    ReplyDelete