Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Got dry, digipermed hair? Resuscitate it with 100% pure Argan Oil!


I purchased a bottle of 100% pure Argan Oil on a whim last year, and didn't really know what to do with it until Alex mentioned that it does wonders for dry hair (though it has numerous uses as well). Well, I wasn't too keen on applying anything oily to my already sensitive and combination skin, so using it on my dry ends sounded interesting.


Argan Oil as a hair nourisher & styling product

Argan oil is rich in vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids which effectively hydrates and nourishes hair. It has the capacity to penetrate the hair fiber and nourish it from within. As always, I didn't really expect too much from an oil. I had images of limp, greasy hair but continued to apply it to my strands at night before going to bed. After several weeks I noticed that not only was my hair a lot less dry, the curls were more defined.

Fast forward to 9 months later (June 2013), I ran out of this wonder product l and was too cheap to repurchase. I sort of forgot about it and only recently noticed that about a third of my hair (4 inches from the bottom) has become -- you guessed it -- majorly dry and frizzy! I've had my hair colored last June so that would explain the added stress to my tresses and scalp dryness.

I initially decided to use 100% natural coconut oil which I had lying around the house (sent by a brand for review) and used it for a couple of weeks. The results were stunningly different: since the coconut oil had a slightly heavier consistency, my hair would end up greasier than normal. Sadly, it also didn't do much to resuscitate my dry hair.


So now I'm back to using argan oil to revitalize and nourish my digipermed hair. I still purchased the Snoe Beauty Argan Oil which is the cheapest I've found so far at only Php 799/20ml. It's a temporarily healing treatment though, and your hair would go back to its normal [dry] state if you stop. Best used in conjunction with your favorite gentle shampoo and treatment conditioner. I use Pureology shampoo (SLS-free and made of 100% vegan ingredients) and my HG Pure Beauty Treatment Conditioner. Argan oil leaves a beautiful sheen on colored/highlighted hair, too.

Here are a few tips on how to use it: 
1. Just dispense a few drops on your palm, rub your palms together to warm it up.
2. Apply to hair upwards using a scrunching motion. Do not comb through unless you have straight hair. Combing dry, digipermed hair is a no-no since this can cause frizzies.  
3. Apply more if needed, but don't go overboard! Argan Oil is a light and fast-absorbing kind of oil but of course if you go crazy, you might end up with oily hair. Yuck.  
4. It is almost unscented (with a slight nuttiness to it), so you can also apply this mid-day when your curls are sort of "dead". 

Wet or dry hair?

I prefer applying argan oil to damp (75% dry) or completely dry hair. It helps add shine and define my curls. You can also apply some as soon as you've stepped out of the shower, though I tend to over-apply on wet hair :P

There is also some debate on whether applying [coconut] oil is more beneficial on dry or wet hair. The premise is, water repels oil and [coconut] oil should therefore easily penetrate dry hair better. However, there are some that swear by oiling hair when wet. Read this post for more info.

So that's it folks, the secret is out! A lot of people mentioned that for hair that has been digipermed twice and colored several times, it still looks healthy and vibrant. My secret is using a non-SLS color-protecting shampoo, lots of conditioner and of course, Argan Oil :)

Tip: Check the label and use 100% argan oil only. Some products that claim to be 100% argan oil actually contain silicones.

11 Comments:

  1. my super dry frizzy hair needs this! but the kuripot me finds 799 a bit steep. how many ml is this pala? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Your hair looks healthy and luscious here. I've seen it in other posts and I did think it was a little parched and damaged :/ Here it looks nice! Though are you sure it's not bad to weigh down permed hair with oil?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weee, my hair loves argan, too, but I haven't repurchased 'cause I forgot about it, too. Coconut oil is good but it's just too damn greasy and heavy. It takes me about 3 washes to fully remove the oil. :/ My hair isn't thick enough to look fashionably greasy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vivi, I have two full-sized bottles of 100% coconut oil from my favorite skin care brand and I don't know what to do with it. It's too warm in the Phils. to apply it as a body oil (I prefer light lotions). Any tips? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Tellie! :) Thank you! Sometimes my hair becomes dry when I test other shampoos & conditioners also. Argan oil actually absorbs faster (based on my experience) than other oils (ex. coconut oil), so it does not weigh down my permed hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where to buy the argan oil? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Yash! Check out http://www.snoebeauty.com/ for a list of Snoe branches. You can also purchase online.

    ReplyDelete
  8. jakieandthebeadstalkAugust 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM

    love your hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Jaja! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. how about for re bonded hair like mine, is it ok to use argan oil.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Hannah! Yes, argan oil works for rebonded hair, too. It's texture will nourish hair and defrizz it without the usual oily or heavy feel :)

    ReplyDelete