Friday, May 24, 2013

Review: Driclor Topical Antiperspirant

My first module for my Integrated Marketing Communications class at SPaCE is finally coming to an end. It's been a fast (and hazy) 4 weeks, plus I have a final paper due tomorrow. I'm taking a break from researching by squeezing in a little blog post.

One of the posts that has garnered so many consistent views and comments is my No Sweat: a Driclor Dupe? article. Clearly, a lot of people in the Philippines have been battling excess sweat and it seems they are all asking about Driclor, which I heard has been sold out for months.

So to help some people out, here's a quick review on Driclor which I've been using for almost 5 years. Take note that these are my observations, so depending on how much (or how little) you perspire/sweat, your results may be different from mine.

COMPOSITION: Driclor contains Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate USP 20% w/w (185 mg/mL) in alcohol.
PHARMACOLOGICAL CLASSIFICATION: Antiperspirant
INDICATIONS: Driclor is indicated for the treatment of excessive perspiration of the underarms, the hands and the feet. 
Price: Php 440/20ml , Ph 884.25/60ml

I first read about Driclor in one of the US magazines back when I was in college. I didn't buy into the whole idea at first, I felt that it was expensive and was "too strong" for me. Anyway, I am a very prissy person (according to Anne) and I don't like those white powder residues that usual anti-perspirants leave behind on clothes. Yech. So I finally purchased the full-sized 60ml bottle a few years back, tried it for a month and never looked back. The photo above is my 2nd bottle (20ml) which my sister and I share.

What I like: 


  • effectively blocks underarm sweat (sometimes for up to 2 months!)
  • economical, a little goes a looong way
  • it will take months to a few years to finish on bottle with a once-a-month application
  • does not leave any residue or stains on clothes
  • does not darken underarms (with once a month application)

What I don't like: 

  • not readily available -- it's been sold out for months! I heard that Driclor is repackaging and will resume deliveries soon
  • there is an initial stinging and itching when applied, so make sure to apply a thin layer only
  • you have to assemble to bottle and rollerball yourself when you purchase the 20ml size


Tips: 

- Apply before you retire for the night. Make sure to apply a thin layer only, don't overdo it because it will sting and itch!

- You may have to apply several times over a course of several weeks when you're a new user since your skin has to adjust to the ingredients. Then just apply when needed.

- Do not wax, shave, or pluck the same day you plan to use Driclor. The Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate is pretty strong stuff, you don't want your pores too vulnerable when you apply. 


So that's it, folks. This my secret to staying sweat-free in this horrible heat. If No Sweat didn't work for you (it is a milder version of Driclor, after all), then your best bet is to get a prescription from your Derma or try Driclor. Consider yourself lucky if you find a drugstore that sells them, and if you do, please share it below so my other readers can get one for themselves, too.

Let me know what you think about Driclor, did it work for you? Did you experience any allergic reactions? Let me know in the comments!

1 Comments:

  1. Is there any other brand of aluminum chloride available in drugstores here in Ph?

    ReplyDelete