Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve

Confession: Hand washing is very important to me. I am not a fan of using gel hand sanitizers as I have a feeling that the germs and bacteria are still "sitting" on my skin. I would rather use a good ol' bar of soap and actually wash them away.

That said, I am a chronic washer. And applying a good hand lotion or creme is a must. I always one in my bag and my friends are starting to call me "Mommy" because I have anything and everything: band-aids, safety pins, a toothbrush, tissue, mints...you name it, I've got it. I always like to be prepared.

Anyway, I was running out of my Clinique Deep Comfort Hand and Cuticle Cream and thought of looking for an alternative that is readily available in Manila. I chanced upon Kiehl's and the SA recommended their Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve. I wasn't too keen on using something called a "salve" because I have rather unpleasant notions about it, but I nodded anyway and told myself I should try it even just once.

Formulated for the driest, most active hands, this heavy–duty moisture treatment is a thick, rich formula offering all–day care and protection. Our blend of select ingredients allows skin to actually draw and absorb water from the air, forming a "glove–like" protective barrier against moisture loss. 
This formula, which contains a blend of botanical oils as well as natural wax derived from Olive Oil, further soothes, moisturizes and conditions skin. This most effective preparation helps protect against and repair the appearance of severe dryness caused by heavy industrial work, manual labor, neglect, or exposure to harsh elements.
Price: Php 850/75ml
Packaging: 


The Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve comes in a pretty straightforward tube packaging. There wasn't a safety seal like what I expected. The size is perfect for travel though. 

Scent: 


First few seconds after application, you'll get a very faint whiff of minty-ness. This later disappears and the salve becomes "unscented." I've read reviews from other users that the scent was "too strong, funky and medicinal", didn't experience any of those though as the scent was too mild to even complain about. But given a choice, I would prefer unscented hand creams.

Texture: 

Ah, this is where it differs from my Clinique Deep Comfort Hand and Cuticle Cream. The Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve is rather thick and as the name suggests, salve-like. My hands do feel coated, but not as coated as the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream which feels too tacky. Kiehl's is a lot heavier than Clinique's and doesn't apply as smoothly. Expect a bit of a drag while applying or massaging this into your hands as the formula is  (obviously) intensive, so expect a little bit of slight tackiness the first few moments. This is the type of hand salve that needs time to be absorbed by the skin -- no touching of gadgets unless you want fingerprints all over it!

Moisturization:

The Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve does keep hands moisturized even after washing. The downside is,   the formula works better on moisturizing the hands rather than the cuticles. This is where the Clinique Deep Comfort Hand and Cuticle Cream performs better as it does a good job keeping my cuticles soft and in check.

Will I buy again?

Yes. I think this could be a pretty decent alternative to my Clinique Deep Comfort Hand and Cuticle Cream, though I'm pretty much open to trying other brands as well.

What's your favorite hand cream? Share it with me in the comments!

6 Comments:

  1. I'm not much of a hand cream fan and I've only tried L'Occitane hand cream (shea butter) and it was preeetty nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tellie! Thanks for the reco, I'll check that out this weekend :)

      Delete
  2. i havent tried any kiehl's product before =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhain,

      This is the first Kiehl's product that I actually like! I tried the Blue Herbal line before but it didn't work for me, my skin's too sensitive unfortunately. I've heard good things about the Rare Earth Deep Pore Daily Cleanser, it's something I'm open to trying in the future.

      My Mom loves the Midnight Recovery Eye naman :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Kira! L'occitane has always been my HG in hand cream - and I read somewhere that it's the most sought-after hand cream in the world! :) it applies very light on the hands - which is good for me coz I've got sweaty palms all the time but I know I still need to moisturize - but my hands stay soft and supple for a long time! I am a fan of their original scented shea butter and alternate it with the cherry blossom scent :) it's expensive for its size but worth it - tinitipid ko nalang haha! - Mills (Millsie Scribbles)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mills,

      Thanks! Wow, sounds like a pretty good hand cream. I really must check it out t this weekend, thanks so much for the recommendation :)

      Delete