Monday, February 25, 2013

Skinklëns Gentle Cleanser: A Cetaphil Dupe?

Two weeks ago I ran out of my trusty ol' Cetaphil and while shopping in Watsons, spotted this gentle skin cleanser named Skinklëns. Curious, I chucked it into my basket and went straight to the cash register.

At first use, it really does seem like Cetaphil -- consistency and all. It smells a tad different and according to the ingredients list, it contains stabilized hydrogen peroxide which (after a quick Google) is said to help disinfect skin. There are also some negative effects reported, you can click the link for more info.

Skinklëns is also alcohol- and paraben-free which didn't aggravate my sensitive skin. The price ain't bad, too, only Php 263 (if I remember correctly) for a 250ml bottle.


I use this as step 1 in my double cleansing routine, mainly to remove makeup at the end of the day. Take note that I only use Skin Savvy, powder, and the Shu Uemura eyebrow pencil. Based on my experience, it can't take off waterproof/heavy duty eyeliner and mascara. I use a separate oil-based makeup remover for those. 

My sister who wears full makeup on a daily basis, says that Skinklëns can effectively remove the Maybelline gel eyeliner on her, but it fails with waterproof mascara.  


This is how my cotton round looks like at the end of the day. Yuck! After removing my face gunk with Skinklëns, I wash my face with water then wash again with my facial wash of choice. Then I go about my usual routine: tone, moisturize, treat. For the record, I didn't experience any allergic reactions or breakouts while using Skinklëns. 

Tip: Apply to cotton pad and rub on skin gently. Don't tug especially around the eye area!

Not sure how I feel about the hydrogen peroxide ingredient, but I think I'll go back to Cetaphil when I run out of this product. 

What other affordable skin cleansers have you tried? 

2 Comments:

  1. And the hydrogen peroxide content gives it some sort of smell.

    And I'm leaning towards agreeing with that article you posted. I read the same thing with benzoyl peroxide (panoxyl). It does kill the bacteria (along with the skin cells around it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rae!

      Yes it does smell funny, right? One reader tweeted that it made her skin drier, so I guess I should be going back to Cetaphil then once I run out.

      Delete