Monday, August 1, 2011

Review: Nanny Rose's Sticks & Pulls Honey Wax

Usually when I'm too lazy (or the weather is too horrible) to head on out to the salon and have waxing done, I just do it in the comfort of my own home. I've been a waxer since college and I've tried upscale brands, local indie brands and en masse drugstore brands.

One of the newer products that have invaded my bathroom is Nanny Rose's Sticks & Pulls Honey Wax which was sent to me by Amanda of ARD Organics a few months back. I've read good and not-so-good reviews online, but here is my personal take on this product.

"Nanny Rose's Sticks & Pulls is an all natural hair remover in form of honey wax and is made of only ingredients closest to nature. The sticky pot is a combination of locally produced honey, sugar and calamansi juice -- a unique concoction that will keep skin smooth, hydrated and will even exfoliate dead skin cells. It contains no harsh chemicals or ingredients that can cause allergies thus it can be used on sensitive and delicate areas. Plus, it is all natural and locally-produced so you can feel good about it!"

The honey wax itself is encased in a sturdy plastic microwavable tub, includes 5 cloth strips and 2 wooden spatulas. Directions on how to use it is printed on the underside of the packaging.


I've been told it can be used cold or warm, but I decided to warm it in the microwave for 15 seconds on the lowest setting. This resulted to a very fluid wax, and surprise, surprise! -- the plastic tub wasn't too hot to the touch hence I could easily hold it/transport it to the bathroom.


Here's how I use it:

1. I prep my skin with baby powder prior to waxing.

2. I spread a small amount of the wax towards hair growth, making sure I avoid one of my many moles. Heating the wax makes it easier to maneuver around spots that you should avoid like moles, skin irritations, etc. Make sure that you don't burn yourself! Test a small amount of wax on your skin before proceeding.

3. I apply the cloth strip on the area and smooth it down several times to make the wax adhere to the cloth better, then I instantly pull the cloth against hair growth.

Tip: Try to keep the cloth strip as close to the skin as possible, don't yank the cloth upwards. 

4. After waxing, I just wipe the waxed areas with a wet cloth to remove excess product and then apply aloe vera gel to soothe it.

Comments on the honey wax:

The wax smells sugary sweet when you smell it from the tub, it makes me want to eat turon! Haha. My personal preference is to use the wax warm, it is easier to apply and grabs the hair better.

Comments on cloth strips: 

the cloth strip + wax didn't tug my skin even with repeated use
For many years, I've been using The Body Shop cloth strips and I've been quite content. However, for this review I decided to use the included strips in the kit. The Nanny Rose cloth strips are thicker and wider and I had a little difficulty using it on small areas, I may decide to cut it into smaller pieces next time. I also noticed that even when used repeatedly on previously waxed areas with stubborn hair, the cloth with wax didn't tug at the skin at all.

I am actually liking this type of cloth strip, it's very soft and unlike those usual canvas strips I've tried. I hope that I could purchase more of these separately as I want to have a lot of these on standby. Obviously the 5 pieces included in the kit is not enough if you plan to wax your underarms and legs in just one session.

Comments on the applicators:

I found the applicators to be your run-of-the-mill wooden spatulas (or Popsicle sticks), and were sturdy enough to withstand constant use with warm wax. Some have reported that their spatulas broke easily, which I assume may have occurred when using the wax in its solidified, cold state? Please enlighten me because my spatulas aren't brittle at all.

Will I repurchase?

I feel like it may take a while before I run out since I have the 200g tub. But for the affordable price, skin-friendly ingredients and the fact that it does a good job in grabbing hair, yes I would definitely repurchase this when I run out.

The Nanny Rose's Sticks & Pulls Honey Wax kit comes in three sizes:

200 grams (Php 279.75)
100 grams (Php 169.75)
50 grams (Php 99.75)

and is available in Watsons and SM Beauty sections.

8 Comments:

  1. promising sis.. though i have been planning to do my own sugar wax .. maybe this week sana.. maisingit sa busy-busyhan kong life..
    anong cloth kaya yan.intriguing ha.parang masarap gamitin. let us know if you've found out. baka pag nalaman natin ang tawag, we can buy sa mga tindahan ng tela. at per yard ang drama ng pagbili.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Belle: I'll let you know once I find out :) I know some people who buy nga cloth by the yard and use that na lang. But the usual canvas cloth will work just as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just used it last night and it's quite good! :) It was my first time waxing and I thought it would be painful but it wasn't bad at all. There were some stubborn hairs on my legs though so I might use tweezers on them instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Clair: That's great, so glad your first waxing experience was painless :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Found your blog when I searched about Nannyrose's products.I just bought one today and tried it right away, sad to say, hindi talaga sya gaanung nakatanggal. Might be because mababa pa hair ko? I think dapat talaga mahahaba na sila before waxing? How long was the length of your hair nung nagtry ka nito? Thank you!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quima! Usually about 1/4 inch or longer. Did you use it heated or as is?

      Delete