Thursday, May 5, 2011

Splurge vs Save: Facial Scrubs

Scrubbing has always been an integral part of my skin care routine. I scrub my face once a week, sometimes twice if I feel like it. I've always been particular about scrubs because I prefer physical exfoliation as opposed to chemical ones. I like giving my face a good scrubbing, but not end up with raw, red skin. I want to feel the beads and know that they're actually doing something. Yet on the other hand, I have sensitive skin so anything super abrasive, strong or highly fragranced is a no-no.

Let me present two scrubs that I am loving at the moment:

CLINIQUE 7 DAY SCRUB CREAM - Php 1,600/100ml

I'm so happy I was able to try out Clinique's 7-day Scrub Cream during the previous Clinique SPA-rty. It's a very gentle and creamy product with tiny scrubbers that refine and exfoliate my skin well while leaving it moisturized and supple. The good thing is, it is very creamy yet I can actually FEEL the grains do their job as I massage it on my face. This may be the most fool-proof scrub out there, since it's very, very gentle and there is no danger of over-scrubbing.

In true Clinique fashion, it is allergy-tested and fragrance-free -- although I do detect a hint of "scent" somewhere, it's very pleasing and not overpowering at all. I prefer to wash or rinse off the product with warm water, but you can also use a tissue to wipe it off.

ST. IVES. DAILY MICRODERMABRASION - Php 215.90/113g

If, however, you are in a pinch or a bargainista like me, then I think you'll delight in this affordable alternative. The St. Ives Daily Microdermabrasion comes in a clear/glycerin formula densely packed with tiny scrubbers. Compared to the Clinique 7 Day Scrub Cream, this has twice as more beads making it ideal for ladies with combi/oily skin or those who need a "stronger" scrub. It is dermatologist-tested, contains 100% natural extracts sans pthalates and parabens, formulated with Vitamin E and chamomile. It does contain parfum as well, though, but the scent is still pleasing to the senses.

Overall, I think these scrubs are gentle enough to be used on all skin types, including sensitive skin. The difference is that St. Ives contains more beads, and therefore can exfoliate skin more. Both of these products feature beads that are almost identical, if not the same, so you're really not losing out whichever product you end up choosing in the end. St. Ives, however, is obviously more affordable and widely available in all major supermarkets. However, if you have very sensitive, intolerant skin or prone to allergic reactions, then Clinique may be your best bet.

What about you, what's your favorite facial scrub? :)

6 Comments:

  1. I go drugstore all the way, because I scrub daily and I always use a lot every time! Another cheap alternative to St Ives is the Aveeno daily facial scrub, Kira! Just as effective, but not as harsh! I actually have a pot of St Ives which I use for my body (especially my legs), instead of my face! I also use Human Nature body scrub too - it's great and smells so good

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a huge fan of drugstore products,its way more cheaper and works great too :) tried and tested...

    ReplyDelete
  3. because i'm also a bargainista, i can only afford the st. ives.. :) thanks for the product comparison! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. very good product review! can you tell me where to buy st.ives micro suomething? i cant find it at watsons! argh! maybe pcx?

    ifollowed your blog hope you could be my follower too!

    http://prettyglitters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anna: I've heard so many good things about Aveeno, I'd like to try that in the future :)

    @Mera & Hazel: I love drugstore products, too, but it wouldn't hurt to go high end once in a while :)

    @Pretty glitters: I got mine in Landmark, Trinoma (available in the beauty section & grocery). Although yes, it should be available in PCX, Watsons and in the SM Beauty section as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, I still love my V&M sugar scrub although the sugary bits are a bit too big and rough for facial skin. I just try to adjust my strength when exfoliating. I even leave it on my skin and use it as a mask, too. :)

    ReplyDelete