Friday, February 4, 2011

Venus & Mars Smooch Lip Butter Balm

When I first encountered Venus & Mars at a bazaar a couple of years ago, the shop girl was adamant and wanted me to try their lip balm. I am usually skeptical about new brands that tout to be all natural or organic, and so I passed and carried on with my happy little life.

Fast forward 2-3 years later, I conveniently met Justin and Jamie at the WTC bazaar. At this point in my life, I've become a convert as almost all the products I've been using for my face and body are all natural products. So I guessed, this was as good an opportunity as any to try their lip balm.

It contains emu oil, avocado butter, avocado oils, coconut oil, sunflower oil, castor oil, jojoba wax, peppermint essential oils, beeswax and vitamin E oil. Price: Php 170

I will be honest and say that I love their lip butter in more ways than one. Hands-down this is the most soothing lip balm I've tried. It is minty cool not only upon application, but even when I lick my lips I only "taste" the coolness. The Venus & Mars Lip Detox does not have any gritty parts, the product itself is soft and smooth and does not feel heavy or tacky on the lips.


The Lip Detox is also called "Smooch Lip Butter Balm", and it is just that --- a butter balm for the lips. Think of your ordinary lip balm as a lotion, while this version is basically a body butter. For me it moisturizes my chapped lips well and does not leave a too slick base for lipstick. When I use this at night, I wake up with moisturized and supple lips. I like smooshing and licking my lips a lot when I have this on, just because it feels good and my lips feel cool, soft and moisturized.

At the expense of sounding like a fanatic or an advert, I love this lip balm so much. Really, really. You know what my favorite part is? The minty-ness! It does not smell like fake peppermint oil, it's just a subtle coolness that relieves my lips and makes me happy (haha, I have difficulty explaining how I feel about this product).

Some users even say that this can lighten and return the pinkish glow of your lips, but I have yet to prove or disprove that particular fact.

The downside is, it does not have SPF! Sadness, but then again I usually apply my Bobbi Brown Treatment Lip Shine which has SPF 15, so I'm basically covered.

What about you, have you tried the V&M Lip Detox?

7 Comments:

  1. I got one for my Mom and she loved it too. Now I regret not getting one for myself 'cause she always teases me for being a lip balm bandit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally get one, EcoBeauty! It's really good. I like your review on their sugar scrub, I haven't tried that one yet and now I am curious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've tried their lip detox and i loved it! jamie and justin are really really nice too :)

    xx
    heyrocketgirl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! It's so nice to find your blog! I've been reading back posts for a while now, you were the girl in the Jessica Soho Hermit Crab feature! Saw that! haha, so cool :)

    Following your blog!

    Ninin of the two miss fits

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww...Hope you enjoyed that feature :) You can also check out more crab stories over at www.ilovehermitcrabs.com. Thanks for the follow, Ninin :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does this product cures black lips?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anon: Hi there! It can lighten lips a bit (lightening dependent on how pigmented your lips are). But for really dark lips or for super lightening, I'd recommend Godiva's whitening lip gloss.

    ReplyDelete