Friday, December 10, 2010

New discovery: Pür Minerals


I'll let you in on a little secret --- I purchased the Pür Minerals 4-in-1 Pressed Powder Foundation with the intention of giving it as a gift. But when I swatched the product on my jawline at Rustan's and realized that the shade blended so well into my skin, well, I got curious! And this was just in time since I was in dire search of a good mineral foundation in compact form. So now, I'm back to square one with NO gift for that special someone since I'm keeping it for myself. Heh.

Anyway, on to the review:


This Pür Minerals Pressed Powder Foundation is touted as a "one minute makeup miracle" and was designed to be a foundation, concealer, [finishing] powder and SPF all in one. It is the cornerstone of the Pür Minerals line and is made from "pure mineral pigment ground to the smoothest texture and bound with organic shea butter and vitamin E. This full-coverage mineral foundation is good for your skin."

It is 100% mineral thus it does not contain harsh chemical dyes, alcohol, fragrance or preservatives. This foundation includes titanium and zinc, which provide an all-natural barrier from the elements, and is good with all skin types and conditions.

 
The brand has a wide range of shades and my NC30 skintone conveniently falls into the Light category (no surprise there). The MUA at Rustan's suggested it is best used with a chisel brush which was a whopping Php 1000+, so I passed and decided to use the enclosed sponge instead. But in the near future I do plan to purchase a flat top brush from Ellana so I get a more airbrushed finish.

For those with a chisel or flat top brush on hand, here's the best way to apply the Pür Minerals foundation as lifted from their website:
Get a flawless finish with Pür Minerals 3D application method: Dip, Draw, Dust. It makes applying the 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Foundation so simple!

  • Dip the Chisel Makeup Brush into your 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup Foundation.
  • Draw circles with your makeup brush in the lid of the compact.
  • Dust mineral makeup on your face in downward strokes.
Use the Utility Makeup Brush for added coverage in small or hard-to-reach areas. Your compact also comes complete with a convenient sponge for quick touchups.

Pür Tip:
The 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Foundation is not just for your face. Use this mineral foundation anywhere you need coverage. 
I roadtested this baby at the wedding I attended last Monday, and I didn't touch up nor blot my face for the entire duration of the event.

taken in the car around 4 PM
Looking fresh --- taken at around 8 PM

WHAT I LIKE:

  • when coupled with my HG tinted moisturizer, it provides buildable medium coverage and lessens the appearance of my bluish under eye circles
  • UNSCENTED, some mineral or organic foundations smell funky
  • matte finish
  • has SPF 15
  • looks natural and feels light
  • stayed color true on me for hours
  • offers a wide array of shades for different skin tones 
  • suitable for ladies with various skin conditions (dry, oily, acne-prone, sensitive, mature, etc.)

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:

  • (according to the MUA) it is best applied with a brush because the sponge can pick up too much product which results to cakey application if you're not careful. But if you're in a pinch or for quick touch-ups, the sponge will work just fine
  • mirror is underneath the compact, similar to my Prestige foundation
  • cheap plastic packaging 
  • oil control is so-so
  • expensive at Php 1,250 but then again, not as expensive as Youngblood or ColoreScience

Overall, I like it because it is in compact form and easy to tote around as opposed to loose mineral makeup. I was a tad disappointed because I still have to use a chisel brush to get the best natural-slash-airbrushed effect, but I think a non-latex sponge will do just fine.

FYI: I was not able to blot my face after a few hours because I left my blotting papers in my other bag. You can get away with just touching up as is but if you're really oily, it would be best to blot face first with oil control sheets for better results.

If you don't want to spend Php 1,250 on a mineral compact foundation, I would suggest trying out Natural Rice Wet & Dry Dual Foundation which is very similar in consistency but only Php 725.

What are your favorite mineral powder foundations? Have you tried Pür Minerals yet?


Pür Minerals is available at Rustan's Department Stores

5 Comments:

  1. OMG! Mineral makeup that comes in pressed powder form?? And it's not that expensive (compared to the MAC foundie I use)! How's the oil control? And do they have darker shades for moi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. IKR! I got excited too when I saw the display. Oil control is pretty good (I used the sponge and not the brush), and yeah they've got darker shades. You can swatch galore at Rustans, the MUA is nice naman.

    They also have a starter kit which includes the chisel brush, foundation and mineral blush for about Php 2000+ :) Please let me know how it works for you ha since you're really more of a makeup pro than I am :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the review! I love that it's an all-in-one product! so i think the price is just right ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kira! So I visited the Pur Minerals display because of your glowing review, but then the makeup artist manning it said it's too sheer to use as foundation and is only good as a finishing powder. Is the coverage really that good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lauren! I got mine at Rustans Gateway, I use it over Skin Hour Mattifying Day Cream & Tinted Moisturizer and it works well for me. Please take note that I used the sponge which picks up more product than the brush. The Skin Hour + TM combo also helps the powder adhere to my skin better.

    For me, the coverage is good. But other people might need more coverage, I guess it really depends. I hope there were enough shades available to match your skin tone. They also have a Mattifying Gel which you might be interested in. Let me know how the swatching goes :)

    ReplyDelete