Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner in Brown

I am a self-confessed makeup noob as I prefer fussing over skin care than makeup. I rarely have makeup on save for the basics: tinted moisturizer, foundation, blush and lipstick. I sometimes have a love-hate relationship with eye liners -- I love how they make my small Asian eyes look bigger and wide awake, but I do not have the patience to apply liner all the time. That is where my sister comes in handy because she can apply the liner on me, haha.

We got Maybelline's Gel Liner last week and although the sister has been using it since, I've only been able to try it a few days ago. I totally despise pencil liners, I prefer pen/brush liners more (think TFS pen liner). I've been curious about gel liners ever since Liz gave me a makeover-slash-tutorial a few months ago and used MAC's Fluidline on me. Check my entry here.

If you think I look sleepy in my last photo, you're probably right. I haven't had enough sleep lately, my brain has been channeling the Energizer bunny since last week. Could be because my birthday is coming up (greet me please! *wide smile*) or I'm giddy about bazaar season. But I digress...

Cramy gel type allows to draw a smooth, clean line without crease. Customized eye line brush allows line to be drawn as desired from fine to thick. The creamy gel texture dries quickly after application. Long-lasting, waterproof and smudge-proof formula that resists sweat, tears and water.

We got the liner in BROWN, which is a dark brown shade with bronze flecks. You can layer it on if you want a deeper hue.


This is how it looks on me when applied to top lids only. I didn't prime my eyes or anything, just eye cream, my Nu Skin TM, then Maybelline's Clear Smooth Powder (review to follow). Pretty decent color for just one swipe, right?

source
Some reviewed this online stating that the brush was a thumbs down, but I think it works well for me. I need to practice more though, I was in a rush when I tried this on today. The densely packed bristles are firm enough to get a good amount of the gel, and also aids in creating a more defined line. The tip hardens up a bit though if you don't wipe out the excess product after application. You can bring it back to its original state just by applying some makeup remover to the tip.

Smudge-proof? Waterproof?

Maybelline claims that this Gel Liner will last 24 hours. I would have to agree that it is very long wearing, but not entirely smudgeproof. I tried to gently rub my eyes after a few hours and I could see some liner smudged on my finger. Also I rubbed it vigorously on the back of my hand after I swatched it (see pic above), and it came off easily leaving a brown tint behind. Also, be wary of fall out.


Verdict

It's pretty affordable for only Php 349/2.8g. It's not as indelible as MAC Fluidline but it's a good alternative. The pot has an aluminum cover and a frosted glass body. It has bit of heft to it and is sturdy enough for the cheap price. If you have oily lids it would be best to skip applying eye cream or any sort of moisturizer along the eye area to avoid raccoon eyes by the end of the day

Have you tried this product? What do you think about it?

2 Comments:

  1. i have this in black and it smudges on me big time. boo, oily skin! i look like a coon at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybelline's products are so smudge-proof! Even after washing my face, may natira pa sa mascara ko. Same goes with my felt tip liner. Of course, there's a little smudging, but what eye liner doesn't, right? :D Looking good, Kira!

    ReplyDelete