Saturday, October 2, 2010

Kalye Juan

I've always passed by Kalye Juan but I've never actually tried it. I am one of those people whose restaurant choices are somewhat influenced by how many of the people seated are actually enjoying their food -- or at least just look like they are. Kalye Juan seemed empty most of the time.

So anyway, one fine day at Robinsons Galleria while we were waiting for our schedule to watch M. Night's new film "Devil" (which I think was really creepy), we decided to try this resto because they had "Lengua with white sauce" on the menu. God knows it's one of our favorite homegrown dishes. There wasn't really a lot of people when we got there and the prices, though they seemed steep, were supposedly good for 2-3 people. While waiting for our food, they gave us chips to pass the time.

thank God for Robinsons WIFI

Sizzling Bangus Belly
Lengua with white sauce Php 160
Sizzling squid

If I may say so, the food was pretty good if not a little bit overpriced. The dishes were really not meant to be shared since the servings were small. The people here totally underestimated  how us thin people eat -- I believe I had 2 cups of rice and almost hogged the Lengua all for myself.

Funny thing is, the Sizzling Squid (as shown in the photo above) only had a few pieces of tiny squid rings, and was smothered by veggies. Yup, veggies are good but I think you'd get more mileage out of Gerry's version.

By the way, while eating the Lengua, I spotted a tiny hair strand and so I had to send the whole plate back. The management replaced the whole thing of course. Don't get me wrong, the Lengua was pretty tasty and creamy, so I enjoyed the dish nonetheless.

Maybe in the future, I might go back and try Kalye Juan at a different branch (like Tomas Morato, maybe?). Whenever I'm in Galleria, I still feel seriously upset that Cafe Med closed down. Boo-hoo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment