Saturday, June 12, 2010

I Am Now a Fan

With my simple skin care routine and lifestyle, I realized that tinted moisturizers may just be right up my alley. After all, having to use a sunblock + light moisturizer and even out my skintone while control oil all at the same time was just too good to pass up. So my hunt began for THE perfect tinted moisturizer.

I decided to first narrow down my choices to "affordable" high end brands, meaning my budget was Php 2,000 and below (emphasis on "below"). I did for a second there, consider trying out BB creams as well but either the smell turned me off (as in Elianto's) or the price did. I may be a drugstore shopper but sometimes I still have this notion that high end products have better quality than their drugstore counterparts. And anyway, I can always look for a good dupe once I find the perfect product to compare it with. Tee-hee. 

These guys were part of my shortlist:

Juice Beauty SPF 30 Mineral Light Moisturizer - Php 1,650

This mineral-tinted moisturizer combines a blend of chemical-free, full spectrum spf 30 sun protection with certified organic white grape and pomegranate juices, vitamin antioxidants and essential nutrients for a healthy glowing complexion.

This product is just bursting with organic ingredients! And being an organic junkie, I was thisclose to purchasing it. The only downside was, the scent was too strong (it definitely smelled like leaves to me) and the formulation was a bit creamy. I was scared that it might go oily on me. Plus, I was hoping Beauty Bar would stock the "Medium" variant which gives medium coverage. The "Light" variant gave only very sheer coverage, which when applied, would seem like there was no tint at all. Le sigh.

This weightless silky smooth tinted moisturizer SPF 18 offers lasting moisture and helps to improve the tone and texture of your skin, leaving you with a polished complexion.

Probably one of the more unassuming little products you'd find at Beauty Bar. I am a fan of TheBalm's yummy lip glosses so I was more than willing to check out their tinted moisturizer as well. A close look at the ingredients list reveals that it contains two Dimethicone ingredients but NONE of the parabens! Aha-mazing! It also has broad spectrum SPF 18 and it is non-comedogenic. Also the cheapest so far at only Php 975. The sad part? It comes in two shades -- Light and Light-Medium -- but the Light shades seem to be all sold out (I checked three Beauty Bar outlets already).

Youngblood Mineral Radiance Moisture Tint - Php 2,250

It leaves skin comfortably hydrated, provides sheer, even-toned coverage and shields skin from environmental damage. Packed with free-radical fighting antioxidants, calming botanicals and nourishing minerals. Available in four skin-perfecting shades. 1oz/30ml

Okay, first of all this was way over my budget. But then for years now, I've always been intrigued with YoungBlood, except that it was so damn expensive. I love the pump applicator, doesn't it look so...well for lack of a better word...expensive? But the finish, oh the finish, was just too dewy for my taste. And no SPF.

Nu Skin Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 - Php 1,728

Naturally sheer color. Mirror and reflect your natural skin tone with Skin Beneficial Tinted Moisturizer. This lightweight tinted moisturizer uses microprism powders to impart an even, healthy glow. While highlighting your true color, it also delivers skin-beneficial vitamins A and E, oil-free moisture, and SPF 15 to help prevent environmental damage.

I got this tip from Alex since this product came highly recommended. She says it's the most lightweight TM she's tried, and for someone who shares my sentiments of combi-oily skin, I decided it was worth checking out. The downside: it's only sold though a Nu Skin dealer and swatches are not readily available (it offers only 2 shades). However it gets plus points for being transfer-resistant, long-wearing, talc-free and petroleum-free. And oh, did I mention it has SPF 15?

So there. Guess which I chose? Review coming up soon :)

6 Comments:

  1. Dun dun dun! Can't wait to read your review :D I actually almost bought Laura Mercier's last month, but I wasn't too impressed with the tester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, so far so good :)

    Laura Mercier is one of the more popular ones online too, as well as the Smashbox TM. You're right, the Smashbox TM tester was really oily, and I wonder why it's labeled as oil-free. For The Balm TM, all the lighter shades were sold out, but like the others, no SPF :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Smashbox TM is really good if you're not living in the tropics. Just like Burt's Bees radiance serum. I used both when I was in Hong Kong just after winter and they were great! Just not made for Manila weather, boo. =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, I stand corrected. TheBalm TM has SPF 18 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz recommends Shiseido's TM, but the small tube costs sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot how much it costs, around P1600+ ba? I did read her review on Shiseido and I was impressed. But I wanted to go into a different direction and check out other brands :)

    ReplyDelete