Thursday, May 27, 2010

I Heart Yakult


Drinking Yakult is like being a kid again!

I remember when I was 8 years old, my cousin Pao would down bottles of this stuff, apart from our regular addiction to the original Magnolia Chocolait in sturdy glass bottles. I have since forgotten about Yakult, and my craving for this healthy probiotic drink was awakened when I developed an insatiable taste for frozen yogurt -- White Hat, Red Mango, Yoh-gurt Froz specifically.

So why drink Yakult?

- Yakult is probiotic. It contains billions of live and active “good bacteria.” Your digestive system naturally contains trillions of all kinds of bacteria -- some are helpful, some are harmful. When you drink Yakult daily, it makes it difficult for the bad bacteria to grow.

- Yakult also gives you more of the beneficial bacteria that may help balance your digestive system and boost your natural defenses.

Yakult is NOT yogurt but rather a fermented dairy drink that contains probiotic cultures rather than yogurt cultures. The main difference between yogurt and probiotic cultures is that probiotics must have scientifically proven health benefits while yogurts do not. Another point of distinction is the type of cultures; probiotics are typically various species and strains of lactobacilli or bifidobacteria, while yogurt starter cultures are specifically Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus, according to the National Yogurt Association.

Bottomline is, if you like the tartness of yogurt, then you'll definitely love Yakult as well. 


FYI: Yakult only contains 11g of sugar per 2.5oz bottle. This is equal to one serving of sugar, or one piece of fruit or slice of bread.


I am very conscious about my sugar intake (as well as salt intake), I automatically check how many grams a specific food or drink contains before I consume it. For instance, I regularly drink Fit & Right as well, and I choose the Four Seasons variant (which has 22g sugar), as opposed to Watermelon, PineOrange and Pineapple which have 25-27g of sugar! The lowest has got to be Blueberry-Grape with only 18g, but I don't like grapes per se, so Four Seasons it is.

And btw, I don't drink cola or any kind of soda, just juices, certain kinds of milk, plus Yakult. I learned to drink Iced Tea when I was already in high school, and even during that time it tasted weird for me, until I discovered houseblend Iced Teas from Gourmet's and Cravings.

You could say I grew up pretty straight, and am a purist a heart with water being my number 1 drink of choice.

So anyway, this blog post is mainly how much I am loving Yakult even more now (I love dem Yakult sales ladies as well). It's fairly cheap at only Php 40/pack of 6. Fit & Right is only Php 50/litre :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment