Monday, May 24, 2010

Another Hermit Crab Molt

Remember this little guy who molted last March? He has been living with a twisted leg as a result of improper molting.


While taking the crabs out of their crabitat and into the bathroom for their "exercise", I turned this little guy over and was surprised that it had molted! It was totally unexpected as I was thinking it would molt in about 3-4 months. But apparently, it was time for the little guy to shed its old skin.

So here are some molt pics:

Above: the newly molted crab; Below: the old exoskeleton

I've been paying close attention to keeping the sand moist ever since Georgey passed, and so I think this conducive environment has encouraged the crab to molt. I do hope the others follow suit, especially the bigger ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment