Saturday, March 20, 2010

More Pictures of PP

Coenobita brevimanus is the most terrestrial of all land hermit crabs. C. brevimanus' body is heavily armored and all surfaces are covered with a thick exoskeleton to help minimize water loss through evaporation. C. brevimanus is not difficult to distinguish from other hermit crab species. Look for narrow, dark, tubular eyestalks and an outsized lilac-colored purple pincher. 

The first thing you will notice about this type of crab is its large purple pinching claw. It uses this claw primarily to hold onto things, but will use it to defend himself in battle. He will also have a smaller pincher claw that he uses to bring food, and drops of water, to his mouth. He can adapt temporarily to eat with the big claw if the little claw is missing due to a loss in battle (as in my crab's case -- her smaller claw is broken).

Compared to Gigantor, the PP is huge!

 It has tufts of hair on its legs

The tips of its legs were cut-off, possibly from previous hermit crab fights :(

Its eyes are round, other crabs species have elongated, candy corn eyes.

I love, love her reddish purple color! It's so pretty :)

8 Comments:

  1. why do you like them kira? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cat! I love animals in general, I think hermit crabs are cute! And not until I bought one did I realize that they can be endearing pets too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an adorable PP! Beautiful coloring!
    The rug in the first picture in the upper left corner is also very handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, thank you so much ladybug15057! Thank you for dropping by my blog :) Was wondering if you can help me determine the species of my other hermit crabs? I may be mistaken in calling them Indos, sometimes it's hard to differentiate each kind. I can send you pictures via email :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the purple pincher! Am this close to getting my kid a hermit crab ha, am sobrang aliw with your hobby I swear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Anna! Thanks :D I'm so amazed so many mommies are so into it too! You should try and get a few, if not for you then for your little one (hee-hee). Aliw sila and so low maintenance, as long as you get them the basics. I'd love to help you out if you have any questions ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG the purple pincher is so pretty! I don't have the patience to take care of hermit crabs but I love reading your crab stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Lauren :) Hermit crabs are so endearing like guinea pigs heehee. I love reading your blog too, I get so many makeup tips from you :)

    ReplyDelete