Monday, January 4, 2010

Sterilizing the Crabitat

I woke up this morning and peeked into the crabitat and realized that I must start the year right by cleaning and sterilizing it. There were bits of crab poop everywhere (thank goodness they are not gross like dog poop). The pic below was taken 3 weeks ago when the substrate was newly-added, notice how white and clean it is?

And this is how it looks like now:

Yuck. Those little black things are the crab poop and leftover food (crabs love to bury their food for safekeeping). So i decided to borrow Mom's strainer and sift through all the bad stuff so I can rinse the sand afterwards.

And ta-daaah! After straining about a kilo of substrate I am left with very fine, dirt-free sand:

It may take 2-3 days before the sand finally dries, so the hermies are camping out in their other terrarium with small smooth pebbles. I also cleaned their climbing log, the "Do Not Enter" sign and the terrarium itself with 100% organic cleanser. I wasn't sure what soap to use (or if I should use soap at all) but I guess the 100% organic handwash I have will work since it does not have all the bad chemicals and all (no pthalates, SLS/SLES, etc.).

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

0 Comments:

Post a Comment