Saturday, November 7, 2009

Hamster Surprise!

Back when I was in high school and college, I used to take care of hamsters. My parents brought us up as animal lovers, to love them in all shapes and sizes --- slugs included. So anyway, I love hamsters to bits that I even ended up taking care of 3 families simultaneously (all of them gave birth at the same time, what joy!) with the babies subsequently being sold to pet shops after a few weeks. I took my favorite hamster, Caramel, and his family with me on vacations. I'd lug them through check out at the airport with their babies in tow. Caramel was so docile he' d sleep in my bed and he wouldn't even try to escape. I will try hard to look for old pictures of them for you guys.

Up to this day when I am reminded of my poor Caramel (he died after 2 years sometime between 1995-2000), I feel sad. Hamsters and Chihuahuas will always have a soft spot in my heart. And this why, visiting a pet shop (or a shelter) is heaven for me. All those pets that need adopting...*sigh*. If only I had tons of space at home I'd buy them all.

This is part 2 of my picture story escapade with my Dad. While buying some flea collars for our pets at home, I wandered around the pet shop and what do you know, families of hamsters were on display:

Gaaaah! They were so cute! I asked the sales person if by any chance they would be willing to sell the whole family to me. Of course he said no, but I guess it was worth a shot. Tee-hee.

Okay. Remember the pregnant mama hamster? Well, we took so long to leave the store mainly because I was holding the other hamsters for sale and Dad was checking out the Flowerhorns (he's a fish guy and has 2 aquariums at home). Before we left, I wanted to say goodbye to the hamsters and guess what happened!!!!

I really apologize for the video orientation, I was so excited I just filmed everything in one go. If you look closely. you can make out tiny hamster babies. Congratulations to mama hamster #3! :)

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 Comments: